Barracktown House

 

BARRACKTOWN HOUSE AT ALTMORE


The ruin of Barracktown House has now been replaced and a studio block has been built on the site of Altmore Barracks. The ruined walls of the Barracks still remain. The Barracks was built in 1770 to house the Royal Tyrone Regiment. Barracktown House was provided as the caretaker’s residence. Patrick Shields was appointed caretaker in 1743 and became progenitor of the renown Shields descendants who resided here through the generations until 1970